1.2.09

Alitalia gets rescued but stays the same

Alitalia has sold a 25% stake to Air France / KLM thus for the moment staying afloat. What has changed?
Not much. Alitalia maintains the worst record for losing luggage from all its major airports. To verify this please go to the missing luggage office in Heathrow and watch how there is always a queue in front of the Alitalia desk.

Problems might not go away until 2013 when the Franco Dutch alliance can bid for a controlling stake of the company. Even then we don't know if they will be able to root out the gigantic problems in corporate responsibility, customer services and surprise, surprise, baggage services.

A public apology and a free ticket for all the passengers who lost luggage with no refund, would be nice.

Alitalia is no longer about corporate irresponsibility. It is a national responsibility and Italians should pull their finger out.

1 comment:

Susan O of Orlando said...

I wish I had checked out this site prior to traveling with Alitalia. My husband and I flew back from Rome to Miami on Alitalia on May 12,2013. We purposely used carry on size luggage because we didn't want to have to check our bags. From USA to Rome we had no problem carrying them on board with us but on our return flight the ticket agent in Rome was very rude and absolutely refused to let us carry them. We were forced to check them. When we arrived in Miami I immediately opened my bag because I had a sense that something was wrong. Unfortunately I was right. Someone with the airline had ransacked my luggage unzipping every pocket, cosmetic bags and went through my clothes until they found something of value. They stole several Pandora charms that I had purchased in Florence. Had I known I would have been forced to check my bag I never would have left anything other than clothes in it. We immediately went to report the theft and the supervisor in charge along with several other employees could not understand why I was so upset. They said this kind of thing happens often. They didn't even want to file my claim. It wasn't so much the value of the stolen items but I also felt violated. We are forced to check bags and with that there has to be some trust. I will never fly Alitalia airlines again due to how they handled the situation.